Sunday, December 5, 2010

Pancreatitis & Lentil Soup

lentil soup and pancreatitisOver the 2+ years since I was diagnosed with pancreatitis I've made lentil soup on occasion.

I make it from scratch. It's easy.

1. Get the biggest pot I can find.

2. Empty an entire bag of lentils into the pot.

3. Add a can of tomato paste or sauce (optional).

4. Add a little salt (completely optional)

5. Bring to boil.

6. Lower temperature to a simmer.

7. Allow to continue to simmer for a while. How long depends on you. The longer it simmers the thicker the consistency. I generally leave it on the stove for about 24 hours then move it into the fridge or just leave it on a low heat on the stove putting more water into it as needed. Since it is best to have fewer lentils and more broth I tend to add water more than I did before I had pancreatitis.

small portions pancreatitisHint: One of the easier ways to decrease the amount of soup you are eating or putting into your bowl is simply to decrease the size of the bowl. Use a small serving bowl or a child's bowl. I have a couple cute little bowls I use which I used to use for condiments. It's easier not to serve myself too much if I keep the serving size small to begin with.

Even after having pancreatitis for a couple years now it is still easy to forget how small an appropriate sized serving is. It does not help my pancreas to eat too muchsmall serving pancreatitis and can inevitably lead to another attack. Therefore, I don't want to overeat. It is always better to eat a few smaller meals than to ever overeat. Not being able to eat due to previously having overeaten is a bummer. I don't know about you but I hate losing weight and the easiest way for me to lose weight is to have yet another attack. Yuck! I'd rather just eat smaller portions and I have found that smaller bowls help.

Enjoy the lentil soup!

Some spices are bad and hurt my pancreas.

No comments:

Post a Comment