Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Pancreatitis and Peppermint Tea

Peppermint_pancreasSince most of what I do for my chronic pancreatitis is holistic, tea is a natural go-to because it is a liquid with each herb potentially offering healing benefits.

I've found several different herbs from which I make teas which I feel might have beneficial effects on my pancreas or parts of my system or health that I feel work in unison with my pancreas.

I love Peppermint Tea!
pancreas peppermint
It tastes good. Some herbs taste really bad so it can be nice to add peppermint leaf to them to improve the overall taste of the tea.

Peppermint is considered to have many health benefits. Below is a list of some of the benefits peppermint is purported to offer.

Health Benefits of Peppermint
-Relieving Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
-Decreasing abdominal cramping and pain
-Reduction in bloating
-Helps relieve intestinal gas
-Helps with constipation and diarrhea
-Excellent source of Vitamin C and Vitamin A
-Good source of magnesium, folate, dietary fiber, calcium, iron and Vitamin B2
-considered to nausea (my personal experience is that peppermint is very helpful in this area)
-Vomiting (my personal experience is that peppermint is very helpful in this area)
-Headaches

peppermint benefits pancreasPeppermint is also considered to be helpful in managing mild asthma, stress and warding off the common cold.

Peppermint is one of my favorite additives when I'm making tea because of its great taste and benefits. Plus, I personally have felt no ill effects from using it in my teas! I like mixing it with Artemisia Capillaris Tea. The peppermint greatly improves the overall taste of the tea. I find that these teas help my pancreas feel better on a daily basis.



Sources:
Harvard Medical School
The Encyclopedia of Healing Foods by Michael Murray, Joseph Pizzorno, and Lara Pizzorno
Benders’ Dictionary of Nutrition and Food Technology
USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference
Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment